An old or unused armoire can be redecorated to make it a fun place for children. Chalkboard paint can be used to give it a magical, fun-filled and playful look to it from the inside. It can also be used to decorate a room with a theme.
Surface preparation and priming are an important element of any painting project. It ensures that the work will last a long time.
Chalkboard paints are not hard to find since almost every paint manufacturer makes it, but it is commonly available on only two colors: black and green. If you’re looking for other colors try searching the web for an online seller. These things are required before beginning to paint.
Things that are essential:
- An armoire
- Wood putty
- Paintbrush and roller
- Chalkboard paint
Steps to follow:
Step 1 – Surface preparation:
- Remove gloss from the wood by using average garnet paper. Don’t forget to wear eye protection, gloves, and a mask.
- Fill scratched with wood filler and wait till dry.
- Now grit the entire surface with a fine garnet paper. Dust residue off with clean strips.
- Make sure all excessive residue and wood fibers have been cleaned so as to get a smooth finish.
Step 2 – Priming:
- Primer is necessary for uniform painting and proper adhesion of the paint.
- Paint the entire surface with a good quality primer.
- Chalkboard paints consist of water and not oil, hence they require a very good latex primer that also supports stain blocking.
Step 3 – Guide to Painting:
- Select the chalkboard paint of highest quality and color using a tool that is recommended by the manufacturer. It can be a roller, foam brush or a nylon brush. Two coatings are usually enough to achieve a lasting finish.
- It usually takes a week for the paint to completely set in. You can also rub chalk horizontally over the entire surface and wash it with a wet cloth. This way the chalkboard paint will last for years.
- Chalkboard can also be used for stenciling out a theme, letters or numbers. You must always select colors that complement each other and the environment they are applied in.